Support GLTs and Visit our online Silent Auction!
The Friends of the National Zoo (FONZ) online auction is NOW OPEN FOR BIDDING through May 13!
This is an opportunity to bid on hundreds of incredible items to raise money for the Smithsonian's National Zoo's animal care, science, education and sustainability programs. One of these programs is Golden Lion Tamarins. A portion of the proceeds from over 100 of these auction items will go directly to help the Brazilian Associação Mico-Leão Dourado (Golden Lion Tamarin Association) to save golden lion tamarins in their forest habitat in perpetuity. So here’s your chance to bid on a wide variety of really unique items, have fun, AND help conservation. On behalf of all the team working to save golden lion tamarins in their forest habitat, thanks for your support!
- Choose the name of the next GLT born in the wild -- the name will become permanent for the life of that tamarin
- Incredible artwork by the animals themselves (bet you didn’t know golden lion tamarins were artists, how about tenrecs or armadillos or naked mole rats?) and by human artisans around the world;
- A copy of Jane Goodall’s new book, signed by the author herself;
- Behind-the-scenes zoo tours at National Zoo, Bronx Zoo, Lincoln Park Zoo in Chicago, Philadelphia Zoo, Baltimore Aquarium, Monkey Jungle in Miami, and Zoo Atlanta;
- Soccer balls and uniforms for your own team;
- Technical assistance to fix your computer problems;
- Tour of NASA with an aeronautic engineer;
- Sunset Tour of the Century-old Potomac Boat Club with the Club Vice-President;
- Dog training, yoga sessions, personal fitness training;
- A Bethany Beach Delaware condo getaway;
- A monkey hand-knit sweater and hat;
- Breakfast with the GLTs!
After placing the winning bid in last year’s auction to name the next GLT born in the wild, Greg Melanson chose the name Devra in honor of Devra Kleiman, and sent the following message to SGLT:
I was delighted to receive from you a photo of little GLT Devra and news about her family, their location, etc. I am so glad to know she is part of a large and vibrant family! I have her photo on my bulletin board and smile whenever I look at it. There is nothing I would like better than to make another trip to Brazil and see GLT Devra in person – I have such fond memories of a trip some years ago.